Saturday, January 31, 2009

Joy

Good morning to all who are reading this! I just wanted to share with you a feeling I had the other day--something absolutely wonderful. Late Thursday afternoon, I got an IM from a friend I work with by the name of David. David is a gentle, funny and kind soul, whose love for His creator is evident in the way he interacts with people. He's in a different area of the company, but directly works in the Design area, so it wasn't out of the ordinary to hear from him, although it's normally me IM'ing him for something, not the other way around. I assumed that he had a question or something about a design I was working on, but before he could ask his question, I preempted him with one of my own--asking him how his recent trip to Aruba with his wife (kids were at home with the grandparents)..we chatted about that and then I asked him what he needed (after apologizing for preempting him). He said he didn't need anything & just wanted to know how I was. Told him I was fine...work was getting better (and it is)...thanks for asking and all..He then told me that the other day, God put it on his heart to pray for me and that he didn't know whys, so was something going on? Now, mind you, I'd had my normal ups and downs, a big "discussion" with Don over something that in hindsight I realize that I overreacted about, but not a specific thing came to mind. I told him that there wasn't anything major that I knew I needed, other than what I'd been praying for daily: a continual awareness of God's presence in my life, not just in the morning when I pray to him in the parking lot at work, or at night when I have a sleepy, half-prayed prayer but a pervasive, conscious awareness. He admitted that he needed the same thing, and we agreed to pray for each other to achieve that very thing.

After our conversation ended (during which I thanked him what must have been a thousand times), I sat back, a little stunned and a lot overwhelmed with a feeling of joy I hadn't felt in a while. Ever since I was told by a wonderful lady by the name of Sue Youngs on my pilgrim Walk on the Walk to Emmaus, that she had been praying specifically for me, a total stranger, in the days and weeks leading up to the Walk, any time someone has mentioned that they have prayed for me, I am blown away. It is one of the most indescribable, blanketing, comforting feelings I have ever felt, and I make it a point to tell others when I pray for them. I am sometimes concerned that others will question my motives as to why I'm telling them--I'm not telling them so that they'll be impressed with me, or thankful, or beholden, or anything--I assume that they'll have the same reaction that I did when being told. (if I am wrong on this assumptions, please let me know).

I am thankful for everything that God has given me, and I praise Him for bringing wonderful people into my life. Perhaps it's through interactions with these blessings that He's reminding me of His presence (Eureka moment!) and I've just missed the message! Talk about walking around with blinders on or seeing only what my feeble human eyes can see! I vow that I will strive to see every person as His representatives (for lack of a better word) which will enable me to focus on glorifying Him and not just get caught up in the immediate demands of this temporary life.

Praise You, Father God, for loving me. Thank You for loving me enough to open my eyes to You, and I rest in the thought that You are always with me, even when I fail to realize it.
May Your blessings rain down on those reading this, and I lift each of them up to You so that they too may know just how much You love them. May they feel joy, too, at the knowledge that they have been lifted up in prayer.

With much joy and love in her heart,
Laura

1 comment:

sojourner said...

Happy Valentine's Day!

Love,
Y